Tucson College Externship Program
What are externships and why are they important to your education? You may not be familiar with the term, but externships are an important part of many educational programs. Similar to internships, externships give students the opportunity to see the day-to-day activities and responsibilities of a particular career. At Tucson College, our externship courses not only provide students a glimpse into a career path or industry, they provide students with practical, hands-on training in a work setting.
Tucson College's Externship Courses
Our externships consist of more than just observation and job shadowing. They are treated as separate courses and are a required part of many of our programs. During these externships, learning takes place “on-the-job,” typically at a local business or hospital. There, students receive individualized training and are given the opportunity to practice the skills and concepts taught in lectures. Below is a list of programs requiring externships and a description of what you can expect to learn:
- Administrative Assistant/Computer Applications Specialist - The externship for this program gives you real world experience working in an office setting. You’ll have the opportunity use your skills in Excel, Word, PowerPoint as well as learn other office skills only acquired in real-life experiences.
- Pharmacy Technician- Students in a Pharmacy Technician externship gain experience preparing medications, inventorying pharmaceuticals, and more under the supervision of a Pharmacist.
- Medical Assistant - Externships for this program will train you in both administrative and clinical procedures like maintaining office equipment, collecting samples, recording vitals, and more.
- Medical Office Billing and Coding Specialist - Externship assignments will help you gain practical experience preparing insurance claims and properly coding medical procedures.
- Patient Care Technician - You’ll gain experience with patient handling, observing and recording patient issues as well as concerns, and more under the supervision of a Registered Nurse.
Externships are usually assigned and completed in a student’s final term. A job site will be chosen for you based on your program area, interests, and capabilities.
What to Expect During an Externship?
Your externship should be an exciting and informative time. You’ll finally get to apply everything you’ve learned during your career training. To make sure we pick the best assignment for you, we will work with you to choose an externship site that is directly related to your ideal job position. We want to be sure that everything you do is in-line with your career goals and your abilities.
After we have agreed on an externship site, our team will reach out to the site supervisor and provide them with a list of your skills. This way, the supervisor will have a better idea of what you can do and can tailor their training for you. Prior to beginning your externship, a completed externship agreement and externship assignment form will need to be executed with Tucson College, the externship site and you.
During your externship, you’ll submit weekly reports about your activities, learning, and overall experience. This weekly recap allows you to go over activities, what you have learned as well as keep track of your attendance . Your Site Supervisor will evaluate your performance and send one report at the mid-point of your externship and another at the end of your training. An Externship Supervisor will also make a planned visit to the externship site to observe you and speak to your supervisor about your progress. If necessary, the Tucson College supervisor and your site supervisor can create a plan to provide additional coaching or training.
If you want to learn more about our externship courses, give us a call at 866.882.2586 to speak to an Admissions Representative. They can answer any questions you may have about our externships, career training programs, financial aid options (Financial aid is available for those who qualify.), and more. You can also request more information online by filling out our online form.